Topic: Nadal number one at year end

Anyone think Nadal can reclaim the number one spot before year end? It's a bit far fetched but could actually happen if:
- Nadal wins Beijing, Shanghai, Paris and London. He will then have 10 645 points.
- Djokovic won't play in London as indicated. Even if Djokovic make it to the finals in all tournaments that Nadal wins, he will just get 9 650 points.

Of course, it would be crazy if Nadal managed to win 4 tournaments in a row coming back from injury...almost as beginning of 2013 again.

Re: Nadal number one at year end

Nadal plays Basel as well. And why in the world would Novak not play in London?

I think Roger has a far better shor at the year end #1 spot than Rafa.

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion
Runner-Up: '13 Yoda Cup Guru, '15 & '13 Lord Vader, '15 Naboo Champion
Yoda Crew player of the year: '16 & '14
YC Wins: '12 & '13 Wimbledon

Novak will not play London since that's the planned time for his wife to give birth.

Oh where did you read this?? Surprised I haven't seen it so far. I thought she was supposed to give birth in october....

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion

It was actually one of the commentators on CMore tennis that mentioned it. I haven't been able to find out anything more about it though so it might just be speculation at this point.

Okay I found that his wife will give birth in 'a month' (told that on september 30th). He also said he will play Shanghai, Paris ans London as he planned.

I totally forgot about Federer but you are right; he definitely have a chance as well. He might even get more Davis cup points if Switzerland wins. The race is currently looking like this:
- Djoko: 8150
- Federer: 7020
- Nadal: 6645

And in total it's a maximum of 4750 points to play for. For Fed it's 500 less though since he is not in Beijing.

Yeah but davis cup finals points count for next year's race. I know it's weird but I asked once the ATP about this and thwy said that ANY points earned after the WTF count for the next year. So the year end number one is set after the WTF final match.

Nadal is not much of a indoor player. His indoor record is mediocre.

Him winning Paris and London back to back will never happen. He will most likely not really try to do it either, he has too many injuries and his priority is french open. Which is good because thats exactly what his priority should be.

Never would've thought Nadal would actually have another realistic shot to finish number 1. Crazy he's leading through Wimbledon in 2017!!

good call Madman - Thats why Federer skipped French open this year - Can Federer reach # 1 by years end..???

Murreee wrote:

good call Madman - Thats why Federer skipped French open this year - Can Federer reach # 1 by years end..???

If he wins Wimbledon (still a big If), he'd be only about 500 pts behind Nadal. If that happens, I think the schedule favors Nadal reaching Number 1 (probably by the US Open) but I'd like Fed's chances to reach year end number one.

In 2014 and 2015, he killed it in the post-Wimbledon stretch and he has several tournaments which favor him (Cincinnati, US Open, Basel and WTFs). Rafa has always struggled in the indoor stretch where the faster courts typically play well for Fed.

Even if Cilic wins Wimbledon and gives Nadal a 1300 pt lead in the race, Roger would still have a decent shot. Of course, Fed isn't going to chase number one and we'll have to see if he withdraws from certain tournaments (Montreal, Paris) which would affect his odds. Roger has said he plans to play a full schedule and not take more extended breaks though I could see him pulling out of Montreal after making the Wimbledon final (he's only played Canada once since 2011) and possibly Paris since he'll have his spot clinched by then

Should be a fun race, if I were handicapping I'd favor Fed slightly atm even though Rafa has the lead

Looks like Nadal is pretty much guaranteed yearend #1 now.
If Federer does play Shanghai, Basel, and Paris (as scheduled) and win them all then he will have a chance at YE#1.
But if Nadal should win any of those, the 1860 points he is currently ahead should grow, and will probably become insurmountable.

Would be exciting if it came down to the YEC!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

What a beast!

Yes.....sadly the anti-tennis Nadal is likely to finish 2017 as #1!!!

What a SHAME for the once great sport of Tennis to endure such
an ugly occurrence!!!

Nadal is such a "manufactured player." Why am I the only one
that notices this?

The TRUTH is Nadal is a player that wins too much WITHOUT
a brilliant game!!! His serve, return of serve, backhand, and court
positioning are SUBSTANDARD!!! His game is successful because of
his FREAKISH ATHLETICISM!!! Without his too good to be true foot
speed and superhuman endurance...........lets be honest.......Nadal
would be mostly a top 50 player in the mold of Pablo Carreno Busta
or Albert Ramos Vinolas!!!

I have been a fan of Tennis for 30+years and have never seen a
"champion" win with such a basic simple defensive game!!!
Just look at all the great champions the sport has produced and
you have to admit that Nadal is the "champion" that stands out
the most!!! He stands out because his success is built on playing
a "backboard type defensive game" built on superhuman footspeed
and AMAZING endurance NOT Tennis skills like the great champions
of the past!!!

To be fair......nobody knows......if Nadal is guilty of PED abuse but he
looks suspicious to me!!! Be honest now........we the fans have NEVER
witnessed a player win with only legs (foot speed) and endurance (play
as if he has 3 or 4 lungs) and an unimpressive fundamentally flawed game!!!

The years after Nadal retires should be very interesting because we the fans
may find out that the "Superhuman athlete Nadal" may have been using PEDs
throughout his career!!!

Last edited by sneaky (Oct. 9, 2017 4:03pm)

*skims Sneaky Rant #86*

Yeah, he's still GOAT 2, though.

Uhh in who's eyes.......certainly NOT mine and the eyes of many fans critical of
Nadal's MYSTERIOUS success the last 13 years!!!

The Nadal game looks "manufactured" in the eyes of many fans on various Tennis
forums!!!

Look at it like this.......Federer has mastered every stroke and his game is as close
to perfect as possible!!! Nadal on the other hand wins despite NOT mastering any of
the strokes!!! His high loopy shots, bad court position, (nobody ever won so much
playing so far behind the baseline) and overall GENERIC game make his success very
difficult to believe!!!

Many fans are very skeptical in believing such a simple defensive player could have
won so much with a very basic simple defensive game!!! His hold game and return
game are NOT effective......in other words if you take away his incredible foot speed
(ability to endlessly run down balls) and freakish endurance (ability to play long points,
games, sets, and matches) you have a very average player at best!!! Well.......time will
tell.......we the fans may well learn if Nadal is indeed a "super athlete" or a "super fraud."

*skims Sneaky Rant #87*

Yeah, but Nadal's still GOAT 2, though.  Slam count, winning percentage and H2H against rivals, unbreakable records, etc, etc.

"Yeah, but Nadal's still GOAT 2, though.  Slam count, winning percentage and H2H against rivals, unbreakable records, etc, etc."

Aww come on......please understand that NOTHING in this world is as it seems, Arvis!!!

Federer is the one of a kind rare diamond that millions of people can NOT help but stare
at in awe!!! Please understand that their are many fake diamonds.......souped up
(enhanced) average cars, and FAKE products that are made to FOOL the masses of
naive people on this planet!!! Please do NOT be fooled........this world is full of enhanced
products made to DECEIVE the masses of very naive people on this planet!!!!

Well, Feddy is GOAT 1 (in my book).

Uhh.......YES.......I could NOT agree more!!! I predict Mr. Federer will become
even greater when he retires!!! When Federer retires........the career of a certain
lefty moonballer will fall like a house of cards and the fans will learn which career
was truly great and which was NOT!!!

Nadal could retire right now, in the middle of Shanghai, announce that retirement with a fart into a microphone, flip everyone off, and his career will still be considered great by anyone with a working brain.

Yes only if you believe everything under the sun and sadly the young
generation of fans seem to believe everything!!!

In other words, if you go to a magic show and suspend your disbelief
then you will believe anything and be impressed!!!

When I see Nadal play......I see a player that wins ONLY because he
is physically stronger than the rest of the tour!!! The fundamentals of
his game are flawed but he still wins despite the flaws in his
strokes/game!!!

The following comments explain the flaws in his strokes and IMHO they
are CORRECT:

Look at his forehand (he leans backwards when he hits the ball, getting no leg into his shot). This is a very inefficient way of hitting the ball, that transfers no power from the leg into the ball. The only way he can get any power is with vastly superior upper body strength (from HGH, testosterone ?).

Look at his backhand. He can hit his backhand, off balance, from behind the baseline, for a passing shot, while “bunting” (no swing) the ball. This again comes from superior upper body strength, not technique.

His serve, looks like an awkward corkscrew motion, that no self-respecting professional tennis coach would teach.
His volleys look like a caveman with a club (although they seem to be effective).

I stand by my assertion that Nadal’s “talent” comes mostly from a bottle, and frankly I am surprised that someone with as much knowledge of the game, as you, would argue otherwise. We have NEVER seen a player
win so much with FLAWED fundamentals!!! Lets be HONEST his game is strange because he does NOT and NEVER
won with TALENT!!! He is very successful despite NOT having a great serve/hold game/return of serve........you know skills/ talent......he wins due to his super human foot speed and neverending endurance!!!

When Nadal retires he should:

A. Sell his magic potion he will make Billions of dollars. LMAO
B. Sell his training regimen to the public. LOL
C. Reveal to his fans that he is a mutant alien robot with super powers. ROTFLMAO

Last edited by sneaky (Oct. 12, 2017 1:54pm)

*skims Sneaky Rant #88*

Yeah, if Nadal actually is a mutant alien robot with super powers, that would make him even MORE of a GOAT.

Ahh.......yes Lance Armstrong, Marion Jones, Ben Johnson, etc. etc. were all
mutant alien robots with super powers!!! They were all UNMASKED for the
frauds that they were!!!

I am very surprised at you Arvis.....you are a knowledgeable fan but NOTHING
makes you suspicious. In other words......you seem to take everything at face
value without any suspicion!!!

I can honestly state that NADAL is IMHO the only "champion" that wins despite
his flawed game. To put it bluntly........he is a super athlete (maybe) that happens
to playTennis!!! Hmmm.........I would wager Nadal plays Tennis because of the WEAK
drug testing standards.......if he was an Olympic athlete he would have been
suspended for life already!!!

Last edited by sneaky (Oct. 12, 2017 3:53pm)