Topic: Nadal number one at year end

Anyone think Nadal can reclaim the number one spot before year end? It's a bit far fetched but could actually happen if:
- Nadal wins Beijing, Shanghai, Paris and London. He will then have 10 645 points.
- Djokovic won't play in London as indicated. Even if Djokovic make it to the finals in all tournaments that Nadal wins, he will just get 9 650 points.

Of course, it would be crazy if Nadal managed to win 4 tournaments in a row coming back from injury...almost as beginning of 2013 again.

Re: Nadal number one at year end

Nadal plays Basel as well. And why in the world would Novak not play in London?

I think Roger has a far better shor at the year end #1 spot than Rafa.

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion
Runner-Up: '13 Yoda Cup Guru, '15 & '13 Lord Vader, '15 Naboo Champion
Yoda Crew player of the year: '16 & '14
YC Wins: '12 & '13 Wimbledon

Novak will not play London since that's the planned time for his wife to give birth.

Oh where did you read this?? Surprised I haven't seen it so far. I thought she was supposed to give birth in october....

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion

It was actually one of the commentators on CMore tennis that mentioned it. I haven't been able to find out anything more about it though so it might just be speculation at this point.

Okay I found that his wife will give birth in 'a month' (told that on september 30th). He also said he will play Shanghai, Paris ans London as he planned.

I totally forgot about Federer but you are right; he definitely have a chance as well. He might even get more Davis cup points if Switzerland wins. The race is currently looking like this:
- Djoko: 8150
- Federer: 7020
- Nadal: 6645

And in total it's a maximum of 4750 points to play for. For Fed it's 500 less though since he is not in Beijing.

Yeah but davis cup finals points count for next year's race. I know it's weird but I asked once the ATP about this and thwy said that ANY points earned after the WTF count for the next year. So the year end number one is set after the WTF final match.

Nadal is not much of a indoor player. His indoor record is mediocre.

Him winning Paris and London back to back will never happen. He will most likely not really try to do it either, he has too many injuries and his priority is french open. Which is good because thats exactly what his priority should be.

Never would've thought Nadal would actually have another realistic shot to finish number 1. Crazy he's leading through Wimbledon in 2017!!

good call Madman - Thats why Federer skipped French open this year - Can Federer reach # 1 by years end..???

Murreee wrote:

good call Madman - Thats why Federer skipped French open this year - Can Federer reach # 1 by years end..???

If he wins Wimbledon (still a big If), he'd be only about 500 pts behind Nadal. If that happens, I think the schedule favors Nadal reaching Number 1 (probably by the US Open) but I'd like Fed's chances to reach year end number one.

In 2014 and 2015, he killed it in the post-Wimbledon stretch and he has several tournaments which favor him (Cincinnati, US Open, Basel and WTFs). Rafa has always struggled in the indoor stretch where the faster courts typically play well for Fed.

Even if Cilic wins Wimbledon and gives Nadal a 1300 pt lead in the race, Roger would still have a decent shot. Of course, Fed isn't going to chase number one and we'll have to see if he withdraws from certain tournaments (Montreal, Paris) which would affect his odds. Roger has said he plans to play a full schedule and not take more extended breaks though I could see him pulling out of Montreal after making the Wimbledon final (he's only played Canada once since 2011) and possibly Paris since he'll have his spot clinched by then

Should be a fun race, if I were handicapping I'd favor Fed slightly atm even though Rafa has the lead