Topic: Tennis Clones

After watching Coco at this years Wimbledon she reminded me of Sabine Lisicki from 2014/15... Same game and same mentality - Like they were tennis clones...

Are there other players current or past that have identical games or characteristics..???

2018 Lord Vader
2018 Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Re: Tennis Clones

When I watch Ostapenko's game, I see the next generation's Kvitova (Good power, boom or bust game, a player who can beat anyone if they're rolling)

Vandeweghe/Lisicki is a good one. I also see Goffin as a poor man's David Ferrer

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Good call - I love watching Ostapenko play - Goes for every shot - Evert called her the queen of the third set - Really hoping she is the real thing long term...

Interesting call on Ferrer - He actually plays like a male Ostapenko #tennisclone

2018 Lord Vader

I'd love to see Ostapenko back this up and develop into a top player. Her game is still very raw in some ways and she plays a risky style which will sometimes lead to her taking bad losses, but she has power which you can't teach and seems very calm mentally, which are good signs. Her serve seems to be the biggest liability but that will come with time.

I'd want to hear you elaborate on your Ferrer/Ostapenko comparision. To me Ferrer is more of a grinder and definitely doesn't have that kind of power, though I'd be curious to hear where you're going with the comparison.

Giorgi is another who's similar to Ostapenko's style

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

My comparison of Ferrer was the never give up fight to the end never looking discouraged style that I also see in Ostapenko - Not so much a type of power play vs grind it out play comparison...

When Evert called Ostapenko the queen of the third set I felt she meant because even when she is down a set and even a set and a break she doesn't seem to be rattled - Thats what reminds me of Ferrer - I have seen Ferrer come back so many times when down and force a five set match - Thats the comparison #mentalclone

Last edited by Murreee (Jul. 13, 2017 7:02am)

2018 Lord Vader

Okay that makes more sense, game wise they're obviously much different but I get the comparison now. The third set success reminds me more of a circa-2014 Nishikori, who was ridiculous that year in 3 setters though he's one I feel like people don't associate with toughness...

We call Kei the Glass Prince because of his fragile body.

16 Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Backhandpass wrote:

We call Kei the Glass Prince because of his fragile body.

Physically yes. But 2014 Kei was money in final sets. 21-3 in deciding sets that year, 4-0 in 5 setters, 8 wins over Top 10 in deciding sets.

Kei's body is unfortunately held together by ducktape but I can't deny his success that year

The Prince will never be King.  I have resigned myself to that fact.

His body doesn't hold up well in best of 5. It's a shame since Kei is so talented and works hard but his body holds him back. He's much more suited to do well in Best of 3 at the Tour Level, which is why he's been way better at getting deep in the Masters than the slams