Topic: Coco Cash's in..!!!

Pat Cash has Coco super focused 30 years after he won Wimbledon and became the first person to jump into the stands... !!!

2018 Lord Vader
2018 Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Re: Coco Cash's in..!!!

Vandeweghe looks solid so far and as someone who has her on his team, hopes she goes far in this year's Wimbledon.

I just wonder how much we should credit Cash. It's the 3rd straight year shes gotten to the second week of Wimbledon and her game always plays well on grass. With her serve it's naturally suited and we saw in Australia what she's capable of on a fast surface.

I'm not saying Cash isn't having an effect, I just wonder  if she wouldn't be doing well anyway. Look at her last 2 Wimbledons

2015: Straight set wins over Pliskova, Stosur and Safarova before taking Sharapova to 3 sets in the QFs
2016: Rolls through week 1, beats #6 Vinci before losing to Pavlyuchenkova in R16

She's been getting to this stage consistently. I haven't watched any of her matches this year so if there's some tangible change in her game that can be pointed out, I'd be interested to know. I just feel like we overrate these coaching hires sometimes.

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Agreed - Ive been picking Coco since before Cash = But she has said in interview the he has her focused  on 1 point at a time - good stuff..!!!

2018 Lord Vader

Coco's health put me off her so I ended up with flippin' Sevastova on my team instead.  Rooting hard for Wozniacki here to save me, but she's dropped the first set. tongue

Murreee wrote:

Agreed - Ive been picking Coco since before Cash = But she has said in interview the he has her focused  on 1 point at a time - good stuff..!!!

And that;s what's hard to tell since Cash very well could be helping her mentally, it's just harder to tell if it's something like that rather than tactical changes.

Great win today, so glad I have her on my team. She has a great shot to make the final here, very winnable QF vs. Rybarikova and I'd give her a fair shot vs. Kuznetsova/Muguruza

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

With young players the mental game is huge..!!!

Last edited by Murreee (Jul. 10, 2017 1:07pm)

2018 Lord Vader

Coco was always a bit of a head case.  Loads of talent, no sense to speak of.  I think what Cash has done is get her to slow down and think.  If so, it's exactly what she needed imo.  Her game really had no technical problems apart from the part of it that resides between her ears.  Or so I think.

She should rip through a tricky Rybarikova -- but I don't see her beating Muguruza, who is better than she is at everything.

Last edited by Don (Jul. 10, 2017 4:07pm)

Great feedback Don - Some good matches ahead - I really liked Garbines play today against Kerber but I think Coco can match Muguruzas power and win more first serves than Kerber - We shall see..!!!

Last edited by Murreee (Jul. 10, 2017 5:17pm)

2018 Lord Vader

Good analysis on the mental side of things Don

. She should get through Rybarikova and I wouldn't dismiss her odds against Muguruza. She rolled her in Australia 6-4, 6-0 so she knows she can beat her on a big stage. Muguruza's the more talented of the two and should win if they play their best, but with Muguruza that's never a certainty.

Coco needed this rain delay in the worst way - Hopefully she can regroup and quit making so many UFE's..!!!

2018 Lord Vader

Well the rain delay did not help - And it appears Cash didn't help either - 40% first serve is never gonna get it done no matter who is coaching - Ouch..!!!

It appears that there is no WTA player who can consistently play across tournaments not named Williams..!!!

2018 Lord Vader

Rough loss today, I feel like Rybarikova is just a bad matchup for her but her serve really let her down today. Disappointing for her since she had such a great opportunity here but I feel like once she started struggling on serve,  she lost her confidence and lost mentally. Really rough match for her

I don't know how this will effect her for US open or if she can even recover confidence - Don't think she  can break the top 10 at this point...

2018 Lord Vader

I don't favor her odds atm, but would need to see how her form looks in North American hardcourts and how fast the courts are playing in NY. I'm not ready to rule out her chances yet but definitely her best odds are on grass at Wimbledon.

She reminds me of Lisicki - Who I also liked at Wimbledon in 2014/15...

What other players are clones of each other..???

2018 Lord Vader