Topic: Federer's Backhand

Much has been made this year of Federer's improved backhand. He's been taking the ball earlier on the backhand wing and it's been credited by several (including Jeff Sackmann at Tennis Abstract) as part of Federer's turnaround, in particular his success against Nadal in his wins in Australia and Indian Wells.

When I've watched Wimbledon this year, it seems like he hasn't been hitting the backhand as aggressively. He's definitely slicing more which shouldn't be too surprisingly given how effective it is on grass. I'm wondering if grass limits the potency of Federer's newly improved backhand since the ball stays lower which may make it harder to take the ball earlier. And if that's the case, might grass (especially playing slightly slower this year) actually be a less effective surface for Federer than hardcourts especially if Federer plays Nadal in the final?

Curious to hear other people's thoughts

Last edited by Marco19 (Jul. 10, 2017 9:18am)

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Re: Federer's Backhand

I think Federer will stick with the slice until it stops working, simply because this is grass.  Rafa's strokes tend to get up even on grass, though, so if they do play each other, I think we'll see Feddy go for it on that wing, same as in Oz.

Yeah, I'd agree if he got to the final and was playing Rafa I feel like he'd try to hit through it more. The backhand hasn't been an issue, just an observation and something I've thought about

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Marco, I think your analysis is spot on.  Too bad we won't get a Fedal final now to see that very interesting dynamic.  I really thought Rafa was all the way back & would win. 

But we could actually have a more interesting final now -- especially if it involves Cilic or Muller.

Last edited by Don (Jul. 10, 2017 4:18pm)

Could Murry or Konta give UK what they are hoping for..???

2018 Lord Vader
2018 Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

The fact that you can even suggest the idea of Brits winning the mens and womens singles titles means we have come on so far from the wilderness years, when a bunch of wild cards would all lose in R1 and we'd get excited if someone sneaked their way into R3. 4 Brits into R3 this year, the best we've done since 1997. Konta first British woman in QFs for 33 years.

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup 2013 Winner of Fantasy Tennis Tour

Don wrote:

Marco, I think your analysis is spot on.  Too bad we won't get a Fedal final now to see that very interesting dynamic.  I really thought Rafa was all the way back & would win. 

But we could actually have a more interesting final now -- especially if it involves Cilic or Muller.

Thanks Don. And I was surprised, Nadal looked so locked in against Khachanov I assumed he'd be fine. I thought he was still gonna pull it out after he fought back and got it to a 5th set. Credit to Muller, most guys in a situation like that, 5th set, match points squandered would mentally not be able to handle it. I felt like every time Nadal would battle out of a 0-30 hole in his service games, Muller would come out, serve and volley and hold quickly to put scoreboard pressure right on Rafa.

Final definitely could still be interesting. I'd make Cilic a substancial favorite in that QF, long match for Muller at 34 plus the emotional letdown after a win like that, combined with the fact Cilic is in great form. I could see him making the final which would be interesting, if he gets to a SF with Murray I could see it going either way.

Federer to me looks in top form than any other quarter finalist so far.
He is definitely going to win this Wimbledon cool , his backhand also seems to be fine
I am a die hard Rafa fan and it was too bad to see him lose the thriller last night but it was also nice since he fought sooo hard and didn't just let it go after losing the first 2 sets.
I see a Federer - Cilic final from here on, Murray to me looks like struggling with his hip and Sam Querrey might cause more pain to the Brit in their next match.

I have Federer winning Wimbledon also - But is is awesome that UK has potential winners on their home court - Murray can get by Querrey ...

Will any home country player win any home tournament in the next year... Serena out of US open... Kyrgios looking doubtful for Aussi... Nadal will kill it at Roland Garros... UK has best chance at 2017 and 2018 Wimbledons for a home victiry...

2018 Lord Vader

I'm not ready to hand Roger the trophy. I think Djokovic has looked really good and locked in here, albeit with a fairly easy draw. Plus if he plays Roger in the SFs there's mentally Djokovic's recent GS success against Roger which may linger mentally for Fed.

He looked really solid against Dimitrov and if he gets into a groove and serves as well as he did yesterday, he should win the title but I think he's got a tough road the rest of the way.

I originally had Cilic as a Finalist and switched to Murray to be "sensible".  We'll see how that one goes, because those two will definitely be seeing each other in the semis.

Arvis wrote:

I originally had Cilic as a Finalist and switched to Murray to be "sensible".  We'll see how that one goes, because those two will definitely be seeing each other in the semis.

Also loved Cilic coming in and had him making SFs coming in but picked Murray as my finalist since it felt safer. I still think Murray can make the final but Cilic is playing so well, it'll be tough. Don't think him or Murray dropping a set in the QFs tomorrow.

Well, maybe my confidence in Cilic was misguided.  Muller looks even better today than Monday!

Arvis wrote:

Well, maybe my confidence in Cilic was misguided.  Muller looks even better today than Monday!

Yeah Muller playing good but I still think Cilic will snatch the game away

Welcome to the forums, GoRafa!  Looks like you were right.  Cilic came back from 4-2 down in the TB to win the 2nd.

Arvis wrote:

Welcome to the forums, GoRafa!  Looks like you were right.  Cilic came back from 4-2 down in the TB to win the 2nd.

Thank you.
I never knew the web had such a nice forum only for tennis lol.
I participated in French Open Fantasy league on the official website and went hunting for a Wimbledon fantasy league and found this smile

Back to court - Can Murray finish it in 4 sets ?
Oh wait can he ? Queerey breaks back wow

Murray looks hurt - not the same since the tiebreak..!!!-

2018 Lord Vader