Topic: 2018 Aussie Open

Mens Final - Thiem vs Zverev

Womens Final - Azarenka vs Sharapova

So let it be written = So let it be done..!!!

Re: 2018 Aussie Open

Going pretty bold on the Men's. Of the two, Zverev seems more likely to me but neither guy has even made QFs at a hard court slam or SFs at a hardcourt masters. Pretty big leap

Personally for the men's, so much can change it's a fool's errand to even predict, but I'd say Djokovic. At some point he's gonna figure things out and to me, Australia  on the courts which are perfect for his game seems the most likely.

For the women, Vika seems more likely than Maria at this moment. We still haven't seen Maria get her game close to peak, it could happen on hardcourts this summer but we'll see. The game is so wide open, I wouldn't fall back on the established old guard.

Interesting that your men's prediction goes completely to the future while your women's pick falls completely back on the past, especially with the women's game so much more wide open ATM.

Exactly the point - 2018 mens finally opens up to new players - but womens goes back to the former champions - Serena back by Wimbledon - If Azarenka can come back to dominance this fast - Kvitova back quickly - Sharapova can come back fast too - No young women players have emerged to shut out the older champions yet..!!! Hopefully they will - Coco, Ostempenko and Konta seem to have the right attitude...

I just don't think the end of the Big 4 will come all that suddenly or abruptly. I could see one of those players (more likely Zverev) having their breakthrough slam in Melbourne next year but both at the same time seems unlikely. Thiem's first slam final to me seems more likely at Roland Garros.

It's not impossible by any means but I don't see it happening that way. The women's tour as currently being played is more set up for a surprise player or players to break through. I think there's more likely to have a battle of first time finalists but just my opinion.

After watching the big 4 the last 2 days I think you may be right..!!!

I honestly think Rafa will finally get his Double Career Slam in Australia next year.

If he gets past Muller today..!!!

Last edited by Murreee (Jul. 10, 2017 4:54pm)

Zverev has proven that he can't handle the big stage.  Maybe that will change.  Maybe not.
Thiem has a game that will always create more errors for him than the other top players.  We'll see whether he can find a way around that dilemma.  My guess is: no way.

Azarenka is great in Oz.  Masha will never be an athlete without doping.  She moved "like a cow on ice" on clay until she started cheating & became one of the world's best clay court players, knowing she might well be sacrificing her future health.  What a role model!

I hope Rafa wins Oz next year.  But Nole owns those courts last I checked.

Will Jelena Ostapenko be looking for her 4th consecutive slam victory in Oz?  Unlikely, but what a story that would be!

Last edited by Don (Jul. 10, 2017 3:53pm)

Azarenka looked average today against Halep... Nadal looks beatable off the clay - Even Murry said the old crew is getting close to the end... However I must agree with your assessment of Thiem and Zverev... I over estimated their progress here at Wimbledon... Recalculating..!!!

Well, Thiem never does much on grass, so I wouldn't worry too much about his result here.  Zverev, though, has shown that his youth is still a problem.  Not a big one, and his progress is still staggering, but still, I don't know if he's ready to make a Slam final in 6 months.

I am a fan of Murray Federer and Nadal but would like to see some new players make a run to the finals - Even more so on the womens side..!!!