Topic: Has Federer Made a Huge Mistake?

When Fed came out saying he would skip the clay season and possibly the French, I was just scratching my head. He was playing the best tennis I've ever seen him play. He was 3-0 against Nadal, the guy he could never beat. Two Masters 1000 events and a 'Slam under his belt. Murray and Djokovic having their worst seasons in a long time. Some people don't really believe in momentum, but I think it's applicable to tennis. Especially for a guy like Fed, who's letdowns have always seemed mental and not physical.

Anyway, even if he didn't play the whole clay season, I thought maybe he should just play a couple events to stay match-fit. Maybe even some of those lesser 250's if he was so worried about Nadal crushing him (which I think he was). But no, he sat on the sidelines and watched Nadal win event after event. When it came time to decide to play the French or not, it was an easy decision. He hadn't played since March and Nadal was looking like his absolute best.

So he decided to make his return on grass, his playground. But the grass court season isn't even a season. It's a blip in the calendar. If you have a bad result in the one or two tuneups to Wimbledon, how are you supposed to have any confidence? Well, first tuneup down and he loses to Tommy Haas. That loss is about 10x worse than the Donskoy loss he suffered earlier in the season.

I think skipping the entire clay season was an awful move and his plan to make a triumphant return to grass and Wimbledon will turn into a horror show. I think he'll lose to Pouille or Nishikori in Halle and then we'll see who he gets at Wimbledon. Whatever the draw, I don't see him winning.

So, what do you guys and gals think?

'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ
'12 GSFT US Open Champ

Re: Has Federer Made a Huge Mistake?

What does money have to do with anything? If Fed has $300+million, why is he even playing? He has a wife and kids at home. Surely his time would be better spent with them?

He still plays the game because he loves it and he wants to win. If you think he let Haas win just to give Haas one last moment in the sun, to create buzz or whatever theory you've cooked up, well, you should stay away from the LSD or whatever mushroom you are taking.

'12 GSFT US Open Champ

You could be right Aiur.

Roger was on a roll and got stopped. Maybe playing one or two tournaments on clay would have been good. Like one 1000 and a small tournament such as Geneva for example.

Roger now needs matches. He got a warm up in stuttgart but now needs several matches in Halle. Just no right to lose early otherwise it will compromise his wimbledon chances.

But he didnt play any competition match before the Australian Open and still won so... maybe we shouldnt be too worried.

And one last fact: last time Roger lost to Haas on grass, he won Wimbledon a couple weeks later. So maybe there is hope after all ;-)

Last edited by Adunar (Jun. 18, 2017 1:10pm)

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion
Runner-Up: '13 Yoda Cup Guru, '15 & '13 Lord Vader, '15 Naboo Champion
Yoda Crew player of the year: '16 & '14
YC Wins: '12 & '13 Wimbledon

Losing to Tommy Haas on grass is not worse than the Donskoy loss.  Not even close.

I think we got your point Sneaky.
You know, when nobody agrees with you, it means you are wrong most of the times. Not always, but most of the times.

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion

I said most of the times, not always.

So it is very likel that all you say is not true. Some might be but some might not. You WANT to see something un everything. But sometimes there isnt.

who did Errani replaced as LL!

Dtrain gives literally zero craps as to what thread he is posting in. lol

I'm going with the more likely scenario of "Federer had a bad day".  Since that one is supported by... y'know... reality, instead of weird, pointless delusions.

Weird how they're only just now doing that this year, instead of all the years prior where they constantly won the tune-up tournaments.  It's almost as if you're completely making this up and basing it on nothing.

Pretty sure the French Open and other tournaments have posted record attendance numbers this year.

But I know facts won't change your mind.

Enough is enough. Just because someone loses a match doesn't mean they let the other person win. Federer losing to Haas is not a good thing for anyone, except Haas obviously.

1. There are plenty of people who watch tournaments just to see Roger play. An early exit means those people don't bother watching if he isn't playing.

2. Haas is about to retire. He's not an all-time great. People aren't going out of their way to watch this guy play on his farewell tour, on TV or live in person.

3. Federer has nothing to gain by losing. He's coming off a long layoff, and has no match sharpness with Wimbledon right around the corner. He doesn't need money and he doesn't like losing. He wouldn't "take a dive" just to give Haas a little moment in the sun before he retires.

Your conspiracy theory makes quite literally no sense at all.

'12 GSFT US Open Champ

I started watching and playing tennis in 1975...I've seen most of the greats play and enjoy it now more then ever...we do need more attacking players but for some time Wimbledon was a bore on the men's side big serves and not much more...until Fed arrived. Nothing better then two great players especially Women on grass.

16 Wimby 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

I do wish all the surfaces played like they did back in the day...the faster the better IMO. But they are all playing alike...would think someone would have won the GS because of this. Both Serena and Nole held all four at one time most recently but still doesn't compare to Borg winning so many French Wimby back to back...then clay was slow and grass very fast...not like now.

16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid

sneaky wrote:

Yes........the attendance seems to always be great but that is NOT
everything!!! The television ratings, social media interest, and fan
participation in games all are much lower than a few years ago!!!

sneaky wrote:

Uhh......where was the match played.......oh yeah......in Stuttgart, Germany!!!
Hmm......I wonder.......does it create bigger headlines if the local player wins
or if the legend wins!!!

Not surprised you don't see the contradictions in your own flawed logic, sneaky.  You even posted those within a day of each other.

Haas went on to lose his very next match 4 and 4 to Mischa Z.  Did someone not get him the script, Sneaky?   Haas also just lost to Tomic by the same score in another German tournament.  So what's the deal?  How come they're not following your ATP sponsored plans?

I have a SNEAKing suspicion that I know the answer: they're actually playing tennis and both players want to win.

sneaky wrote:

Well I NEVER stated that Haas was going to win the tournament!!!
The fake win over Federer had a great impact on the event

I'll say it did: people stopped watching since Federer was out.  These tournament scriptwriters in your mind sure are incompetent.

Although I like that you believe in Federer so much that you think him losing his first match back after a 2 month layoff MUST be a dive.  Hate that you think he has no integrity, though.  Really insulting.

ROFL, take a breath, Sneaky!  lol

Just don't even bother, Arvis. All that partying in the 70's left sneaky a few cards short of a deck if you know what I mean.

'12 GSFT US Open Champ

Aiur wrote:

Just don't even bother, Arvis. All that partying in the 70's left sneaky a few cards short of a deck if you know what I mean.

yep Acid sure can fuck a dude up!

16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid

So.. maybe we like garbage. And dirty lies. I think there is no need to go any further. You made the same point over and over, about one billion times, we got it. But we dont "buy" it. See, we also have criticism. We dont buy all the stuff coming at us.

Please stop spamming us with your extreme conspiracy theory, it is annoying. Even more boring that a nole vs andy final. It was fun once or twice but now nobody wants to reply to you. We arent even trying to discuss anymore. You dont even want to have a discussion, you dictate and tell us how stupid and ignorant we are. Leave us alone in our ignorance and go to the enlightened party. Maybe you might find someone to discuss with.

This is my last attempt.

PS: by the way, you contradict yourself A LOT. Not even consistent with what you say. You try to turn things so it goes your way. There is no significant scientific evidence at all.

Last edited by Adunar (Jun. 27, 2017 8:03am)

Well you never really take into account what we say. And you keep repeatig yourself over and over as if we couldnt understand anything. Count your posts where you provoke and read them again. You will see why we are bored.

Nobody really agrees with you and we keep telling you why.. maybe you should consider we might be right and you might be wrong to some extent. But you consistently say you are right and we are fools. At some point, when others have debated, thought and explained it to you that you are not right about everything maybe you should consider that they have good reasons to believe so. In that sense, you are blinded by your opinions.

Last edited by Adunar (Jun. 27, 2017 2:13pm)

Dont be afraid to tell you opinion. That is something good to do. But repeating over and over when we all read and try to discuss about it is not really open minded.

Many of us  (including myself) conceded that the atp is making stars by changing a bit the rules (32 seeds ar slams, surface homogeneity). Equipment change is evolution of technology. It can favor aptitudes at some point and others later on. Wether it is manipulated or not, I doubt it but it is not impossible.

Regarding the arranged scores and winners, that is too far fetched IMO. I dont think it is possible to do this on a large scale without many people doing it.

So you see, we agree on some stuff. But not on everything. I already told you that many times but itseems you dont read it.

The truth is usually somewhere in betwen ;-)

Last edited by Adunar (Jun. 27, 2017 2:29pm)

Well, we all have things we can improve about ourselves.  I certainly do.  And I hate people disagreeing with my views just as much as anyone does, probably.

But if you're taking suggestions, Sneaky, I think it would be cool if you ended a sentence with just a plain old period every now and then.
Not that I don't appreciate your always-entertaining writing style.  You do you, man.

See, your posts are getting better and funnier already!