Re: Tennis Draw Challenge - Results & Discussion

Which spot exactly?

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion
Runner-Up: '13 Yoda Cup Guru, '15 & '13 Lord Vader, '15 Naboo Champion
Yoda Crew player of the year: '16 & '14
YC Wins: '12 & '13 Wimbledon

It was in the status space, said "Errror!"instead of complete but I guess it was accepted anyway. Thanks for trying to figure it out.

So, I have Andy Murray winning Barcelona.  Why?  Can someone tell me?
I'm literally the only one who didn't pick Rafa to do his normal MC > Barca streak here.
TE has PCB and Paire in the semis, which is weird and he's a weirdo.  Also, Dtrain believes that Ramos is the real deal and will go deep two weeks in a row, but he's alone in that belief.
HTS has Gasquet in the Final.  I like that.  Go Gas Man!

Hey! I just read this! Though it turns out, it was weird. So...fair enough.

2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup
2013 Winner of Fantasy Tennis Tour

I missed the the pick time for Madrid. Oh well.

'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ
'12 GSFT US Open Champ

Aiur wrote:

I missed the the pick time for Madrid. Oh well.

If it's any consolation Aiur, I only just made it, did my picks on a rush - pretty badly so far!!

It WAS a super short window - esp for the women's...

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

I, too, missed the women's for Madrid.  Even if I weren't on vacation, I probably would have missed it.  Since when does a tournament have an early Saturday start?

tenedab wrote:

Nice prediction, Arvis, as far as Mertens is concerned.

Thanks, Tenny.  You're always forthcoming with the recognition. tongue

WTA Madrid is a total disaster... In a draw this loaded with talent, how do we end up with 5 unseeded players in the QF???
Are WTA rankings purely notional?

Last edited by dwightcharles (May. 10, 2017 4:45pm)

Haha.....yeah, I think we might have to start forgetting about the number next to the name in the WTA Charles. wink

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I know I have definitely done that in Rome...

So in Rome I blindly pick Murray for the Semis again... What is that definition for idiocy - repeating the same behaviour while expecting a different result...? ieieie...

And Sharapova for the win!  third tournament in a row... I am indeed a slow learner!

Last edited by dwightcharles (May. 17, 2017 2:53am)

So looking at our Rome picks...

10 of 15 pick Goffin for the final - talk about a favourable draw!  I suspect most of us would have put Thiem in the final if he weren't in Nadal's quarter.

Arvis has bravely chosen Djokovic to beat Nadal in the semis and claim the title, despite overwhelming evidence of Novak being an utter head case this year smile

Tenedab showed some big kahunas picking Fognini over Murray and running to the SF.
I'd like to say Spotec is insane for choosing Dolgo for the semis, but that was actually a thwarted Kyrgios pick.
Spotec and BHP showed their optimism in choosing young Zverev for the semis.
Tono and Aiur predict Stan is about to make an unpredictable return to form and reach the final.
And I, like an idiot, picked the glass prince for the SF... despite evidence he was injured last week.

On the WTA side mayhem rules with our 15 winner picks breaking down as: Kuznetsova 5, Sharapova 4, Muguruza 3, Halep 1, Siegemund 1, Mladenovic 1.
For the final, we can add Suarez Navarro, Konta, and Svitolina to the mix.  And for the semis we can stir in Jankovic, Bacsinszky, KaPliskova, Kerber, and Bertens to our brew.

Notably, last week's finalists Halep and Mladenovic are barely picked in the final four. 

Surfing over to our Team picks, we're givin some love to a few other names as well, like Sevastova, Vinci, Pavlyuchenkova, Strycova, Vesnina, Cornet, Venus Williams, Cibulkova, Keys, Barthel, Niculescu, Errani...

I may pick my GSFT team for Roland Garros this year by throwing darts.

Don't do it, Dwight!  I basically did that here in Rome and it has not worked out well for me. tongue

Missing WTA Madrid means I'll be picking crazy stuff for the women's tournaments for the rest of the year.

dwightcharles wrote:

So looking at our Rome picks...

10 of 15 pick Goffin for the final - talk about a favourable draw!  I suspect most of us would have put Thiem in the final if he weren't in Nadal's quarter.

Arvis has bravely chosen Djokovic to beat Nadal in the semis and claim the title, despite overwhelming evidence of Novak being an utter head case this year smile

Tenedab showed some big kahunas picking Fognini over Murray and running to the SF.
I'd like to say Spotec is insane for choosing Dolgo for the semis, but that was actually a thwarted Kyrgios pick.
Spotec and BHP showed their optimism in choosing young Zverev for the semis.
Tono and Aiur predict Stan is about to make an unpredictable return to form and reach the final.
And I, like an idiot, picked the glass prince for the SF... despite evidence he was injured last week.

On the WTA side mayhem rules with our 15 winner picks breaking down as: Kuznetsova 5, Sharapova 4, Muguruza 3, Halep 1, Siegemund 1, Mladenovic 1.
For the final, we can add Suarez Navarro, Konta, and Svitolina to the mix.  And for the semis we can stir in Jankovic, Bacsinszky, KaPliskova, Kerber, and Bertens to our brew.

Notably, last week's finalists Halep and Mladenovic are barely picked in the final four. 

Surfing over to our Team picks, we're givin some love to a few other names as well, like Sevastova, Vinci, Pavlyuchenkova, Strycova, Vesnina, Cornet, Venus Williams, Cibulkova, Keys, Barthel, Niculescu, Errani...

I may pick my GSFT team for Roland Garros this year by throwing darts.

I wish this forum had a like button like Facebook smile

*hits imaginary like*

Champion: '16 Padme Cup, '16 Roland Garros Yoda Cup,' 16 Leia Tiara, '15 Lando Calrissian's Ring (250's), '15 GQ "The Green Anackin", '16 Trophy Case Award
Runner Up: '16 Rey Saber, '13 US Open Yoda Cup, '14 R2D2 Phoenix Crown.

I am my own daughter!

SUNDAY START ALL 4 TOURNAMENTS

Don't forget to make your picks!

2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup
2013 Winner of Fantasy Tennis Tour

Sooo... what do we make of our 20-year-old Masters 1000 champ, Alexander Zverev?

Undecided. I was impressed by his powerful shots and his psychological strength and his obvious progress of late. I don't think I'm ready to back him against a top player at RG..... ( I chose Donald Young for my current Vader team, apparently, so what do I know!)

Oh good lord

Arvis wrote:

Oh good lord

Very restrained! I 'applaud'

*grinds teeth*

It must be nice to be able to ignore reality so thoroughly.

Arvis wrote:

It must be nice to be able to ignore reality so thoroughly.

Presumably Agassi is also part of Sneaky's conspiracy theory!?

Oh good Lord...

16 Wimby 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

I think they should move it to Ventimiglia and let Milo Ventimiglia present it every year, along with the rest of the cast of Gilmore Girls, which is a show as white as tennis.

I think Novak's been up and down all year, Thiem has played like 80 matches (as usual), and Zverev is a really good young player.