Topic: Maria Sharapova failed a drug test.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tenn … 17266.html

To be fair, the drug melodonium had only been banned as of this year. Still, it looks like she might be banned for two years.

Re: Maria Sharapova failed a drug test.

Yeah, she said she was given an updated list of banned substances and didn't check it.

If I were specifically taking a substance to help me perform better at my job, and then they revised the list of substances that I was no longer allowed to take and still keep my job, you better believe I would check and re-check that list.

What was she thinking?

I'm surprised that not only did she not check it, but no one on her team checked it.

Hmm......I guess it must be a coincidence that so many Russian athletes have the same health problems Sharapova has!!! Maybe the Spanish athletes are teaching the Russians the proper way to cheat!! Poor Sharapova..........now she will be forced into retirement and struggle through life with an estimated net worth of 200+ million dollars!!! LMFAO

Poor girl eh 200+ Millions.

Well she made a terrible mistake. Two years ban is what she deserves for that.

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion
Runner-Up: '13 Yoda Cup Guru, '15 & '13 Lord Vader, '15 Naboo Champion
Yoda Crew player of the year: '16 & '14
YC Wins: '12 & '13 Wimbledon

If she's really banned for 2 years, I think we've seen the last of her in professional tennis.  What a way to go out.

Meldonium is without a doubt a performance enhancing drug. Meldonium keeps the blood of an athlete oxygen rich longer thus improving athletic performance. Sharapova has had a very good image for many years and maybe she will get by with a generous 8 or 9 month suspension. However, there are some Olympic athletes that have been suspended..........so it will definitely be preferential treatment if WADA gives her a slap on the wrist.

IMO........this also shows how extremely difficult the life of a pro athlete really is. At 19 years old, Sharapova started taking Meldonium and is currently still taking it. Obviously she took it to maximize her performance thus maximizing her earning potential on and off the court. My point is there are so many people in this world that would sell their soul to the devil to attain fame and fortune in professional sports like Sharapova did. There is without a doubt huge temptation.....now tell me who wouldn't want to be set for life at 28 years old.

Last edited by sneaky (Mar. 9, 2016 3:56pm)

It seems the Tennis community have forgotten all about Sharapova. WADA will decide definitively
if the two year ban will stand or will be reduced. Many fans do NOT seem to care too much
about this matter regarding Sharapova.

I find it kind of strange and hard to believe that Sharapova took Meldonium for about 8 or 9 years
since she was 20 years old and just this year she was caught!!! I mean she went through most of her
career and just now in 2016 she gets caught. Hmm...........I wonder if somebody wanted to PUSH her
out of Tennis!!! Oh well.........I guess at 29 years old she can buy an island and name it Meldonium
and pass the time doing yoga and meditating with her estimated net worth of 200+ millions of
dollars!!! LOL

Last edited by sneaky (Oct. 2, 2016 12:48pm)

But Meldonium was allowed before 2016, that's why she didn't get caught

As I've stated before, "logic" and "facts" have no effect on Sneaky. But I'm glad you pointed that out, HTS.

Love you, Sneaky! ;-)

I stand corrected on Meldonium being on the drug list for 2016, HundredTennisStats.
It is hard to believe that such a drug was NOT on the list for so many years. I read
somewhere that Soviet soldiers used it to increase their endurance while fighting in
Pakistan in the 1980's. I also heard it was banned from use in the US which makes
it even harder to believe why it took so long to get on the banned list of drugs!!!

Logic and facts are always important in all my posts. However. I simply refuse to
just blindly believe anything and everything put out by the media by most fans.
Many times we the fans have to use our intuition to understand the many ways
the media try to fool the fans!!! My posts show the real reasons the media lie to
the fans to keep the ATP moneymaking machine turning very fast for many years
now!!!

Now that WADA cut Sharapova's suspension to 15 months she can resume her career
in April of 2017. I think she caught a break and did deserve to serve the whole 2 year
suspension........but am NOT surprised. It should be interesting to see how she plays
the rest of her career without using Meldonium!!! I am certain there will be a difference
in performance and I am certain many players in the WTA will voice there opinion!!!!