Topic: Is it just me?

Or was the crowd supporting Murray on Monday ridiciulous?

I know I havent shown the greatest support of Murray but I don't doubt he is a good player; its just that when you see him doing a lap of honour in front of a hysterical crowd just because Wawrinka netted a ball or hit one out I felt nauseated. The mania is ridiculous; he plays good tennis sure, but it was a fourth round match to get into the quarters. Does it require THAT much screaming and cheering to get him there? he only really seemed to pick up his game hwne he realised if he punched the air in the direction of the crowd they all went berserk.

Does anyone else see this? or is it just my bitter disposition? Its just that I have to watch the match with the sounds off; the absolute Murray mania drives me up the wall.

Re: Is it just me?

I saw the match and I really didn't notice the noise until about the end of the 4th set. I think you have to expect the crowd to get that loud if and when Murray gets pushed to 5 sets, especially when the sound is being amplified by the roof. I remember that the crowd at Wimbledon used to get just as loud for Henman's matches when they constantly shouted, "Let's go Tim!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I can't say I blame the fans there. After all, it's been 73 years since they had a champion from The Kingdom.

Last edited by Aiur (Jul. 1, 2009 2:16pm)

'12 GSFT US Open Overall Champ
'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'20 Yoda Cup AO Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ

Do you think it helped him pull out the win? I wonder if that helps or puts more pressure on him.

I think in the past the crowd hurt Murray because his head was never really into the match 100%. If he was losing, he would get down on himself and then the crowd would frustrate him. I thought the turning point was last year against Gasquet. He was down 2 sets to none, and he seemed all but out of it. He didn't get down on himself, and he brought the crowd into the match slowly and he wound up winning in 5 sets. Now that Murray has his head in the right place, he uses the crowd to his advantage. The freshest example is in the second set of the Wawrinka match. He got blown out in the first set, and the crowd was down. He started getting a rhythm, and he brought the crowd into the match.

'12 GSFT US Open Overall Champ
'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'20 Yoda Cup AO Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ

Murray said that the closed roof caused the ball to move differently, and it made the temperature on the court over 100 F. I have a feeling that these conditions hurt him more than the crowd.

The Wimbledon crowd is the fairest of all the Slams.

Maybe a tad moreso than the french, but really? Theyre a blood thirsty lot, they take their prisoners. They hold them up likes gods then sit back and munch on strawberries with wry raising of eyebrows when they fail.
Ive always believed they are some of the worst.

I think you are imagining things. You have gone from complaining about the crowd being hysterical to complaining about the crowd sitting back and raising an eyebrow.
It is common knowledge that the US Open crowds are the noisiest and rudest.

Last edited by buddyholly (Jul. 5, 2009 6:25pm)

I thought it was common knowledge the French were the rudest and noisiest, as they are in support of every sporting fixture. It's their way! In rugby they are even worse.

And that was my whole point: they do both. They raise the ones they like to be gods, and then when they don't do well they fall into stony silence. They are either hysterical with praise or they cant be bothered with you. Pendulum swing.

At least if a crowd is consistently noisy and rude you can work against it.