Topic: Will Federer win his 6th Wimbledon Title and his 15th Slam?

As you can tell from my photo, I think the answer is a big fat YES. At the French he showed the word that he still has the skills, and now he comes into Wimbledon with confidence - the only thing he was lacking the last year or so. He is in great shape and serving like the Fed of old. Can't wait to see him win #15.

Re: Will Federer win his 6th Wimbledon Title and his 15th Slam?

With the whole Rafa situation, I think he is definitely the favorite. Roger has only lost 2 sets since 2005 Wimbledon to everyone not named Nadal (2005 Kiefer, 2007 JC Ferrero). I don't know if anyone can challenge him on grass outside of Nadal.

'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ
'12 GSFT US Open Champ

I don't think Nadal's health will be 100%, so that will help Federer a lot. But, there are some players, like Murray and Roddick, who have been playing some great tennis lately. I think he will do well, but I would not rule out something unexpected.

I found an update on Nadal. It seems that he might play a warm-up event to test out his knee.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … P1rccxEWaM

It does not look good for Nadal. He needs to be at 100% to make it to the finals at Wimbledon, so if he is at 80% or even 90% he will not get past the quarterfinals. Last year was so exciting, so I hope he heals very soon.

chadshack wrote:

I found an update on Nadal. It seems that he might play a warm-up event to test out his knee.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … P1rccxEWaM

As of right now I am not going to put Nadal on my team. The only way I would put him on my team is if he plays really well at this tuneup. I am still under the impression that this is a major knee injury. Nobody dictates play to Rafa, especially on clay.

'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ
'12 GSFT US Open Champ

So now that Rafa is out, who might pose the biggest threat to Federer? Roddick is playing well, and might actually put up a good fight this year. Djokovic is always a threat, but does not seem mentally tough enough to pull it off. Murray has no chance at all - way too much pressure from the home crowd for him to win. I actually wonder if Murray can even make it to the quarterfinals with all of that weight on his shoulders.

Any other ideas? Who will be the one to challenge Federer this year?

i hope murray does alright, for his own sake. Federer will win though!

If all goes as planned, Federer will meet Soderling in the 4th round. Soderling placed a great first round match and might pose a threat to Federer if he can get rid of his jitters and bring on the same level of play he had against Nadal at the French Open.

Murray will probably do really well but I doubt he will win. I'm hoping Djokovic does well, naturally! But I think federer will actually be able to achieve this; of all the people in the world eh can take this Grand Slam.

I'm hoping the guys who did well at the French Open do well, like del Potro etc, I really liked them!

charles wrote:

So now that Rafa is out, who might pose the biggest threat to Federer? Roddick is playing well, and might actually put up a good fight this year. Djokovic is always a threat, but does not seem mentally tough enough to pull it off. Murray has no chance at all - way too much pressure from the home crowd for him to win. I actually wonder if Murray can even make it to the quarterfinals with all of that weight on his shoulders.

Any other ideas? Who will be the one to challenge Federer this year?

Is it bad that I'm quoting myself? Anyway, I just wanted to point out that Murray did better than I thought, but I was right that the pressure got to him today. So in the end the challenger is Roddick. I am very happy about this because he is a great player, but it also means that Federer is all but guaranteed his 15th grand slam win. I can't wait for this historic moment!

I totally agree - Sunday will be a historic moment in tennis that will not be repeated until the next time Federer wins a slam. I expect him to win Sunday, and probably at least 2 to 3 more slam titles before the end of his career. So at least 17 to 18 slams in total for Federer before he is done.

Last edited by bobstheman (Jul. 3, 2009 11:36pm)

OK, so he did win his 15th title, but Roddick was a much tougher opponent than anyone thought. Federer was not really challenged until today, but he managed to pull it out even though Roddick was in the zone and playing the match of his life. Well done Roger!