Re: Which players do you see having a standout year in 2015?

Adunar wrote:

Yes rankings exist for a reason. And the reason is for entering tournaments and seeding. Rankings dont lie, they are only numbers. And seeding make the tournament interesting IMO. It gives chances to good and regular players. It is the only fair way to do it. Though exceptions could be made. But even Wimbledon has a computer way to make their seedings which is well established.

Exactly, thats what I think French Open should have for clay also, then Rafa would get the seeding he deserves.

Last edited by madman (Feb. 3, 2015 5:42am)

Even with a similar rule than wimby, not sure Rafa would be the top seed. Definitely 2nd but not 1st.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Adunar wrote:

Even with a similar rule than wimby, not sure Rafa would be the top seed. Definitely 2nd but not 1st.

Yeah but first or second doesn't matter in this case since the number one challanger to Nadal is ranked as #1.

Fed will win a grand slam OR regain no. 1..

I like the cut of your jib, Rome.  But even with his Dubai victory, I don't see it happening.  As much as I love Fed and believe he can't beat anyone anytime, that was a very flukey win.

BUMP!

This thread makes interesting reading now that all is said and done. Things didn't quite turn out as expected. The anticipated 'arrival' of Dimitrov, Nishikori, Raonic didn't happen. No-one really predicted Novak's dominance, which was the story of the season.
And I thought Berdych was going to win a slam...? Just shows how much things change in a year!

Yoda Cups: Roland Garros 15, 18, 20; Wimbledon 17; US Open 20; Yoda Guru 2021
Obi Wan Master 16, 17 Lord Vader 15
Han Solo Captain 19
Player of the Year 17

As usual, some very clever predictions and some poor ones...

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Nishikori is by far the biggest disappointment for me this season. I had higher expectations on him. Definitely not a favourite player of mine anymore. I think he shows really bad character sometimes. Really negative body-language on the court.

Dimitrov was a joke this season, but I kind of expected that.

Raonic played good in the beginning but after he had some injury he never really got back to the old form again. I hope he can turn this negative trend around now. I think he will.

Troicki, which was one of the players a also mentioned played surprisingly well on grass this summer, he was a little bit too much up and down throughout the year though.

Goffin did a really good season but lacks that little bit of "extra" to become a top-10 player. If he can improve his serve he has a chance to get there I think.

Paire was a really pleasant surprise this season, I hope he can continue like this, he has great potential I think.

Tomic also had a good season, let's hope his hips will stand and that he stays focused.

Kyrgios was too much talk and too little results, he did some stuff good but he talked way too much. If you're going to talk like that you need to back it up majestically. Which he didn't.

Alexander Zverev was the most positive surprise of the young players I think.

"majestically"

word of the day!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

SubaruMG wrote:

Tsonga - Regain a good form, make it to at least 1 GS semi-final.

That was actually a really good prediction. I would not have done it myself. It's such a shame that his backhand is so weak. He would definitely win a slam if it was better. Unfortunately it will never be good enough for him to win a major.

Last edited by madman (Dec. 7, 2015 6:52pm)