Re: 2015 Qualies

Arvis wrote:

Good stuff, madman, and welcome to the GSFT forums. smile

Bedene is playing well, but he has nothing to hurt an in-form Djokovic with.  Either Djokovic is fit and healthy and he wins, or he isn't and likely loses.  That's all there is to that one.  Still, should be a fun watch!

-Arvis

Thanks.

Yes, hopefully it can be a match that we can enjoy watching. Too many qualifiers and wild cards are just happy to be in the main draw and face the world #1 and can't really perform because of that. I think it was good that it was Bedene who got the bad draw and has to face Djokovic because he seems to be the best qualifier, if you look at last weeks results. I think it's more interesting when the top seeds get to play a really good player in the first round.

Elias Ymer is the luckiest of all the qualifiers I think. Go Soeda is also lucky to get that draw with no seeding. I do think that Ymer has a really good chance. I see most betting sites list Soeda as the favourite to win, personally I think it's way more 50/50 because Soeda isn't a great player, his points doesn't come from playing and beating high ranked players, actually I think Ymer plays against better players regularly nowdays.

Marius Copil got a difficult draw, I think that match is hard to predict. You never know where you have Andujar, his highest level is incredibly good but his low level is really bad also, I don't know how he is on hardcourt?

Both have a decent chance to advance to the second round in their grand slam debut.

I'm actually fairly confident Ymer will win that one pretty routinely.  The kid's very talented and is only going to get better if he stays healthy, while I feel like Soeda's best stuff is behind him.

-Arvis

WOW!  Denisa Allertova has won her first ever Grand Slam match and she did it in style!  The highest-ranked qualifier, Allertova romped Romina Oprandi 0 and 2.  Her next opponent is Alize Cornet.  Should be very good!

Arvis wrote:

I'm actually fairly confident Ymer will win that one pretty routinely.  The kid's very talented and is only going to get better if he stays healthy, while I feel like Soeda's best stuff is behind him.

-Arvis

Yes, if he stays focused he will win. Only bad nerves can stop him I think.

Djokovic-Bedene underway now, Djokovic is looking sharp, I feel sorry for Bedene.

So Ymer lost, I watched the match and he had too many up and downs during the match. Soeda was consistent with his level through the match, after the first set, and won because of that.

Copil advanced to the second round after a straight set win over Andujar, good win for him. Next up is Wawrinka, so it will be very difficult for him to go further.

Arvis wrote:

-Arvis

See, what the crap do I know?

Arvis wrote:
Arvis wrote:

-Arvis

See, what the crap do I know?

I actually thought he was going to win also but his serve is simply not good enough in my opinion. Soeda won mostly by experience I think though. This was only the second 5-set match for Ymer, he lost a long one in DC a couple of months ago. Qualified for a grand slam is still pretty good for an 18-year old.

Copil will probably be slaughtered by Stan, but second round is really good for him, gives him a nice boost on the rankings and also a nice amount of $$. I think he's a bit strange, I've seen im play many times, he has a monster-serve, he serves really hard but still doesn't do many aces because he doesn't place the serve well and doesn't always use the right serve in the right moment, he often use very stupid tactics. I think he could improve a lot if he really did something about that, with a serve like that he should break the top-100. He needs a better coach in my opinion.

Last edited by madman (Jan. 20, 2015 2:06pm)

- Aljaz Bedene could have done a little more damage in this tournament had he gotten a better draw.  Alas, he was never going to beat Novak Djokovic and his near-flawless tennis.

- In Elias Ymer's first attempt at a Grand Slam singles match, he came very close to glory.  After winning 2 of the first 3 sets in style, he just didn;t have the experience necessary to topple Soeda.  Ymer lost in 5 painful sets.  But no doubt we'll see this young 18-year-old again.

- Jimmy Wang had no answers whatsoever to the Isner rocket serve and fell in straight sets.

- Laurent Lokoli will have to keep waiting for his first ever Tour-level win.  He managed to take a set off Austria's Haider-Maurer, but that was it.

- Tim Puetz also managed to win a set, but again fell short.  Donald Young is infamous for underachieving, but unfortunately for Puetz, it seems the mercurial American has his act together, for now.

- The Ukraine's Illya Marchenko acquitted himself well against one of the best players in the world, Milos Raonic.  He played the lanky Canadian to two tiebreak sets (losing both) before UEs got the best of him in the 3rd.  The match was much closer than the scoreline indicated.  Look out for Marchenko this year if he keeps serving this well.

- Marius Copil absolutely DOMINATED Pablo Andujar, winning in 3 routine sets.  Copil now has a .500 record on hard courts on the Tour-level.  However, that nice even number is unlikely to stand as his next opponent is 4th-seed Stan Wawrinka.

- For someone who has only ever won one Grand Slam match, Matthias Bachinger sure didn't look like a loser yesterday, beating 27th-seed Pablo Cuevas in straights, including a breadstick in the 3rd!  His next opponent is the very-beatable Jarkko Nieminen.  If Bachinger wins, he'll not only set a personal best Grand Slam result, but net himself a VERY nice little payday before he then gets mercilessly crushed by Wawrinka.

- Jan Hernych folded like Lt. Worf at a Poker table against 30th-seed Santiago Giraldo.  Yes, Hernych is ranked 200th and about 283 years old, but he still should have managed a better effort against a guy with only one real match under his belt this year.

- Kyle Edmund of Great Britain couldn't get past American-Of-The-Moment Steve Johnson, losing in straights.  Edmund is only 20, though, and will likely continue to improve.

- Ons Jabeur couldn't give much trouble to former Top 5 player Vera Zvonareva, losing in straights.  Could Vera trouble her next opponent, Serena?  Probably not.

- Anna Tatishvili broke her LONG Grand Slam losing streak with a routine win over ancient-but-still-beautiful Kimiko Date-Krumm.  Her next opponent will be Timea Bacsinzky, who upset 15th-seed Jankovic.

- Richel Hogenkamp, hoping to face the same Petra Kvitova who played here last year, could barely stay on court for 60 minutes before losing.

Qualifiers Left In Play

Men:
Jurgen Melzer
Tim Smyczek
Matthias Bachinger
Marius Copil

Women:
Anna Tatishvili
Denisa Allertova
Lucie Hradecka
Alexandra Panova

Two of our heroic qualifiers today came so close to gigantic upsets, but fell short.

Alexandra Panova held two Match Points against 2nd-seeded Maria Sharapova before unraveling.  This was way too much to ask for a second Grand Slam singles win.

And of course, we all know the story of Tim Smyczek. He played well right up until the very end against an ailing Rafa Nadal, 3rd-seed in the tournament.  He has come away with honor, pride, sportsmanship, and a great story to tell his future children, but I know he would have liked to add "victory" and "bigger paycheck" to that list.

Meanwhile, Jurgen Melzer played Tomas Berdych tough for one set before falling apart in the tiebreak.  After that, he slumped a bit and Berdych pounced.  You know the old saying: "Give Berdych an inch, and he'll sledgehammer you into dust."

However, we do have one qualifier victory to report!  Lucie Hradecka, having beaten 5th-seed Ivanovic in round 1, got off to a slow start against 88th-ranked Slovenian Polona Hercog, dropping the 1st set 6-4.  However, Hradecka then summoned the form that got her through qualies and into the 2nd round and was able to win sets 2 and 3 without incident.  Her next opponent is Julia Goerges.

Last edited by Arvis (Jan. 21, 2015 9:25am)

Great match between Smyczek and Nadal.  I thought for sure Tim would pull it off but Rafa's will is out of this world. Hope he gets better soon.

Really impressed by Hradecka. Can't wait to see that match vs Goerges.

Angkor wrote:

Great match between Smyczek and Nadal.  I thought for sure Tim would pull it off but Rafa's will is out of this world. Hope he gets better soon.

Really impressed by Hradecka. Can't wait to see that match vs Goerges.

Thats a great matchup, two hard hitting ladies. Hopefully they can play well and not make too many UE.

We are down only one Qualifier left: Lucie Hradecka, who is going to have a very tough time taking out an in-form Julia Goerges.

Yesterday, Matthias Bachinger lost in straights to an improving Jarkko Nieminen, and Marius Copil succumbed to Stan Wawrinka after playing him to two tiebreak sets.
Anna Tatishvili stole a set from rising Swiss star Timea Baczinsky, but couldn't keep it together for another set.  And Denisa Allertova did pretty much the same against Alize Cornet.

Can Hradecka keep the banner waving for the Qualifiers here in Australia?

-Arvis

Marius Copil proved my point that I made earlier regarding his serve by hitting a serve at 242 km/h. Fastest serve in the tournament so far. I didn't see the match but looking at the scoreline it seems that he made a solid match against Stan. Copil might be a player to look out for this year, he's still young and has the potential to improve a lot.

Lucie Hradecka has a good chance against Julia Goerges, I think it's 50/50. Sure Goerges has more experience but having said that, Hradecka also has a lot of experience from playing a lot of big matches in doubles.

Yeah, Copil came in ranked 194th, so he'll definitely jump up a few spots with a 1st-round win in a Slam.  Still, he's going to have to keep playin a lot of Qualifying tournaments before he hits Top 100.  If he can make the main draw of Wimbledon with that serve, look out.

I'm interested to see if his improved play will extend to clay courts as well, which is his worst surface, easily.  Although he has almost no experience on grass, you would think, with that serve, that he could get some wins there.

-Arvis

Saw Copil two years ago at the Geneva challenger. His massive first serve was so impressive...

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

He's romanian so he's probably been playing most of his early years on clay, I don't know if he's a product of romanian tennis or if he got his education elsewhere though, so it might not be the case.

I saw him against Dimitrov last year, I think it was in Madrid if I remember correctly and he was playing fairly good. I still think he needs a better coach. With a serve like that it should be illegal to be ranked outside of the top-100 as long as you're fit and healthy, which he seem to be. Same thing could be said about frenchman Albano Olivetti, I don't know about his physical status though.

I also saw him play against Berdych in Stockholm a couple of months ago, mosterous serve as usual but Berdych just slaughtered him, he played extremely naive in that match and he basically just served hard but with no finesse and variation.

Sam Groth has cracked the top-100 now so there's no excuses for Copil and Olivetti to not do so also smile

Welp, Hradecka is out!  Thus ends another tournament of Qualifiers!  3rd round is pretty good.  Let's see where the Qualifiers go in Roland Garros this summer!

I may do a thread like this for Indian Wells and Miami, if you guys would like.  We'll see.

-Arvis

Arvis wrote:

Welp, Hradecka is out!  Thus ends another tournament of Qualifiers!  3rd round is pretty good.  Let's see where the Qualifiers go in Roland Garros this summer!

I may do a thread like this for Indian Wells and Miami, if you guys would like.  We'll see.

-Arvis

Do it if you want to and have time. I appreciate it. It's always interesting to see how far the qualifiers can go.

By the way, does anyone know if a player has ever won a grand slam as a qualifier? I can not think of anyone, whats the best result in a grand slam by a qualifier?

John McEnroe, Filip Dewulf, and Vladimir Voltchkoff all made the semis of a Grand Slam as Qualifiers, which I am fairly sure is the best ever result for a Qualifier.

Obviously, we have seen a Wild Card win a Grand Slam in our time, with Ivanisevic in 2001 Wimby.

-Arvis

Great thread Arvis!  Really enjoyed it!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Thanks, Dwight!

Mark Edmundson won the 1976 AO ranked 212th, but I don't think he came through Qualies.

He may have been a wild card... not sure exactly how things worked then...

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Arvis wrote:

John McEnroe, Filip Dewulf, and Vladimir Voltchkoff all made the semis of a Grand Slam as Qualifiers, which I am fairly sure is the best ever result for a Qualifier.

Obviously, we have seen a Wild Card win a Grand Slam in our time, with Ivanisevic in 2001 Wimby.

-Arvis

Why did Ivanisevic get a WC in Wimbledon 2001, had he been injured? He wasn't bad at that time. His ranking should've been good enough?

He was outside the Top 100, I know for sure, so he must have been JUST outside the cutoff for direct entry.

-Arvis