Re: 2014 US Open Yoda Cup

Maybe I was being a little inflammatory....

I think Berdych and Wawrinka will 'probably' be in the top 10 in a year's time, and probably Ferrer too, although David's looked pretty dodgy this summer...

Murray and Delpo are question marks... Murray has lost the edge of desire... he's massively talented and should stick around the top 10, but he clearly doesn't have that hunger anymore that compelled him to claim 2 slam titles... I'm not expecting any more slams from him... but he could stay in the top 10 (although he'll drop out if Cilic wins tomorrow - after 322 consecutive weeks - over 6 years)

I think Kyrgios and Thiem certainly 'could' be in the top 10 by next year, but not sure if they quite warrant 50-50 odds on that... another one to watch is Coric, but that will probably be at least 2 years out...

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

I wouldn't count out Murray at all. When your body is not cooperating with you, it is hard to have the same desire you once had. If his injury issues keep flaring up, then I agree he won't be a consistent threat again.

Cilic will be a constant threat moving forward, barring any injuries.  He looks hungry and with Goran as his Coach, Wimbledon must be in his sights.  Equipped with that 1st Serve, it might just happen for him.

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Good point, BHP!  He narrowly lost to Djo at Wimby this year.  If he wins USO, that might wreck him... we'll see how deep the hunger runs...

Scot - I HOPE you're right... huge Murray fan here!!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Murray has been in at least QF of the last 15 majors he's played... I hope that continues!

Man, Cilic is a man on a mission.....he just seems like he is in total control.  Great composure.

Did anyone notice there are no fancy sweat towels for this US OPEN?

Last edited by vegastriguy (Sep. 8, 2014 5:22pm)

Yeah, Cilic was unstoppable.  I said that to all my friends... i was sure Cilic would take the title, but didn't want to influence anyone here... not that they would have listened anyway, probably... pretty strong willed group... ! smile

Last edited by dwightcharles (Sep. 9, 2014 1:59am)

Glad I picked him!

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

You had way more foresight than me bhp... I only knew for sure after I saw him decimate Roger...
Nishikori's win over Djokovic was partly Djo's fault... but Roger was playing well, and Cilic still 'destroyed' him... then I knew Nishi would have no chance.

If Cilic keeps this up he 'will' threaten for #1

So, I've gone back to listen to the 'No Challenges Remaining' podcast review of the US Open.  The two reporters who do this podcast are so interesting and funny and obviously love tennis to death.

Some of my favorite highlights from their discussion:

- One of their favorite matches was Robredo's defeat of Kyrgios in the 3rd round.  Their impression was that Robredo looked at all of Kyrgios' youth and flash and basically told him (and the crowd) "Get off my lawn!"  Best Match Summary Ever.
- Great points about how the Kei/Cilic final was easy to make fun of, but that both men deserved to be there.  It wasn't "Wimblegeddon" where the whole draw fell apart; we were on pace for a Novak/Roger final until the last moments.
- Novak had the "more disappointing" loss in the semis.
- Re: Serena - "There's a huge difference between 0 and 1."
- "Marion Bartoli's spirit lives on in Marin Cilic.  Marin, Marion, just one letter difference..."