Topic: Let's Play Tennis God!

Ok tennis fan's let's play Tennis God!
If you had the POWER to ordain one man and one woman to win this years Wimbledon Silverware, WHO would they be and WHY?
For me it would be a toss up between the two Andy's in the men, Roddick and Murray.
Roddick bcoz he came so close against Fed in that great 2009 final, 16-14 in the 5th set, gutwrenching loss for A-Rod.
Murray bcoz I don't want him to become the best player to never win a GS, surely he will win one at some stage... won't he??????
I ordain Andy Roddick with my powers bcoz Murray must get lucky with the draw, injuries etc at some point....surely!

In the women it would be another toss up for me between Azarenka & Wozniacki.
Azarenka bcoz she needs to gain some self belief that she is good enough to win a GS, if she could win 1 I think she would become a real force.
Wozniacki bcoz it would get the monkey off her back and stop people asking the same old question... about her being No.1 with no GS under her belt.
I will ordain Victoria Azarenka bcoz without my special powers I am doubting whether she will ever actually believe she can win one of these, im reasonably sure that Woz will win a GS at some stage, she is young after all!

So there you go - Andy Roddick & Vika Azarenka for me!
What do you all think people?

2021 - OG Champ, AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Re: Let's Play Tennis God!

I'll have some of what you're having, there, Tono.

OK.  Petko and Ferrer.  Love 'em both.  Sadly, it ain't gonna happen, I fear.  It'll be no surprise if both retire with no slam titles.  Petko has the better chance of the two for sure.  It would be an unexpected glory, the best kind.

Last edited by DonDenman (Jun. 17, 2011 11:54pm)

On the men's side, Andy Roddick. It's amazing to hear people talk about this guy like his career has been a failure up to this point. If not for his kryptonite known as Roger Federer, he would have at least 5 'Slams.  I feel like he deserves another 'Slam because he's re-tooled his game a couple times, really improved his serve and still has the hunger and desire.

For the women, Daniela Hantuchova. She doesn't have the top level game needed to win a 'Slam, but she's a competitor. She could have quit the game, modeled and done cosmetic stuff in her home country of Slovakia, but she's stuck with tennis. She's not just out there to show up, she's out there to win. Pretty similar case to Roddick. I feel like hard work should be rewarded.

'12 GSFT US Open Overall Champ
'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'20 Yoda Cup AO Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ

A lot of folks have run into that particular piece of kryptonite known as Roger.  Roddick has just done it in slam finals more often than most.  I think I like his chances better at the US Open, though, to tell the truth.

Hantuchova comes in playing very well.  While it's doubtful she could win it, she could certainly make a run if she can get past Azarenka.  I wish her well, too.

When it comes to hard work, nobody outworks David Ferrer.

Yep, Andy Roddick for me, too.  He made himself a lot of fans at the 2009 Wimbledon, and I am one of the foremost ones of these.  But I gotta admit, I small part of my heart belongs to David Ferrer, just like Mr. Denman.  My only real hold up with him is that... well, he has a bit of a smaller goal I'd like to see him achieve before I start rooting for him to win a Slam: win a Masters 1000 shield.  Nadal on clay is Ferrer's Kryptonite, much the same way Federer has been Roddick's at Wimby.  Ferrer could have taken Monte Carlo a couple times already were it not for Nadal.

On the women's side, Zheng Jie for two reasons:
1) I love her.
2) She made it to the Wimbledon semis three years ago as a wild card ranked outside the Top 100 and came within a hairs breadth of taking a set off Serena.  Her giant-killing ways and her tenacity (along with her cuteness) became half the reason I even became a tennis fan at all.  I would love for her to get back to her winning ways here on the grass.

But I also am becoming a Petkovic fan as well, so more realistically I think maybe I can see her take it.  Her game IS suited to fast courts!

-Arvis

If Roddick can get past Lopez I think he will make the quarters Arvis, then you would have to think it will be the two Andy's squaring off against one another, anything is possible then so who know's...

2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Andy Murray. I think he is most deserving because his game is the most complete of anyone without a major. He has a lot of very high expectations on him, and I think if he could just win that 1 major he would become an even better player.

I can't give it to Roddick. His serve is magnificent, but really his game is not something anyone can look to and say "I wanna be Andy Roddick". He has proven that the serve can get you very very far in tennis, but his forehand and backhand cannot hold up to the standards of todays game so I can't say he is deserving of any more titles. The high backhand volley in the 2nd set breaker will haunt him for a long time methinks.

I too believe that Andy Murray would become a better player and grow an extra leg if or when he ever wins a GS!
I think he puts too much pressure on himself though, he says he doesn't, but it shows in his emotional and mental state sometimes on court, e.g he loses a rally that he knows he should have won and thinks about throwing his racket or looks at his box and curses as if to say gee this is not fair.
He needs to rid this out of his game so he can stay focused and continue just playing each point on its merits, especially against the big boys, those big matches are often won between the ears and can be determined on a few points here and there, you don't see Roger, Rafa or Novak losing focus after mucking up a point they know they should have won.
You are good enough Andy, just believe it and stop the "why me" antics and.... just maybe it will happen!
I do hope he eventually wins a Slam, don't think it will be Wimbledon this year though.

Well said, Tono. 

It may be simply a question of maturity -- though you never see it at all from some players, so temperament obviously comes into it, too.

Last edited by DonDenman (Jun. 23, 2011 11:10am)

I think Nole has proved what a good mindset can do to your tennis in a short space of time.

Agreed Crosscourt, Murray should take a leaf out of Novak's book and stay focused in all his matches.
I think Nole has a good chance to win the whole thing this year because of his new mindset!

I think, thus far, very little separates Fed, Nadal, and Djokovic.  All three are just as likely to win this tournament.

-Arvis