Topic: Victoria Duval

Last night, this 17 year old American played a fearless and bold 1st round match against Stosur, and won! Wow! It was wonderful to see a 17 year old have such a quality win at the majors, because it hasn't happened in while (Sharapova's run at 2004 Wimbledon?).

From the interviews I have heard or read, Duval was born in Miami, and moved to Haiti, but moved back to the US when she was 7 to escape violence. She has had several traumatic events in her life including being held at gunpoint as a young child, and almost losing her father during the Haiti earthquake. After coming back to the US, she took up tennis and has had some good results in the juniors.

The match against Stosur was Duval's second USOpen main draw match. She was beat by Clijsters at last year's Open in the first round, and wanted to improve on that result. She entered the 2012 USOpen with a wildcard by winning the girls national tournament. This year, however, she had to play through the qualification rounds. I first saw Victoria Duval play through the USOpen qualification matches this year, and she played well. However, she played even better last night to upset Sam.

Tenniswise, her biggest liability is her serve. But, she's only 17, and has a fantastic forehand and good movement.

What do you think about Duval's chances at the Open (she plays Hantuchova next round)?
What do think about her future potential as a top player? What's her rank ceiling?

Last edited by Wimbledonut (Aug. 28, 2013 1:59pm)

2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

Re: Victoria Duval

Too early to say yet Wimby, let's see how she goes against the wily campaigner Hantuchova first.

Beating a Top 10 player at the age of 17 doesn't happen very often though so we will all watch her development with great interest......she will only get better and better one would think unless she falls in love. wink

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

What can love do to a tennis player eh Tony? Did something happen to you around the tennis corner one day? wink

I didn't see the match yesterday but I'll try to catch her next match against Hantuchova.

I can see you like discussing a lot about tennis Wimbledonut (I DO like that nickname). A few more posts and you will be invited to join the most prestigious fantasy tennis league there is on the planet: The Yoda Cup. Keep it up man!

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Adunar wrote:

What can love do to a tennis player eh Tony? Did something happen to you around the tennis corner one day? wink

I didn't see the match yesterday but I'll try to catch her next match against Hantuchova.

I can see you like discussing a lot about tennis Wimbledonut (I DO like that nickname). A few more posts and you will be invited to join the most prestigious fantasy tennis league there is on the planet: The Yoda Cup. Keep it up man!

Thanks, I would like to join the league. And, yes, I love talking tennis. I think Tono was referencing players who found love, then quit. I immediately thought of Vaidisova, and maybe more recently Woz. Vaidisova retired then shortly thereafter married Stepanek. Also, you have Benesova who no longer plays after marrying Melzer. I think Sprem retired, then married Baghdatis. I do think there is a single-mindedness that professional athletes need to have to progress in their sport, especially when its an individual sport.

Last edited by Wimbledonut (Aug. 28, 2013 2:47pm)

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

I am excited more than anything else, but she could turn out to be a one-trick pony. Like Oudin. I guess we just have to wait and see.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Love destroyed one of my favorite tennis players: Elena Dementieva.  Best woman to never win a Slam.  Still think she would have won the 2010 French if she hadn't gotten injured against Schiavone in the semis.

-Arvis

True that. Best non-slam winner. Then you have Woz and the forgotten Safina. Poor Safina, you gotta feel for her, never handling the pressure when it matters.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Well, look what's happened to Grigor &Maria since they hooked up, just sayin. wink......I was headed for No.1 in the world before I fell in love Adunar. (YEAH RIGHT) lol

Best Non Slam Winner.....That could be a good new discussion thread Arnaud,, that would create plenty of chat among the GSFT faithful, lots of potential names on that list in both the men's and women's, but who would be the best I wonder??

Last edited by Tono (Aug. 28, 2013 3:10pm)

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year

Hmm, yeah, Safina would definitely be up there.  But I think if they both played each other at their very best, Dementieva would come out on top.

-Arvis

Arvis wrote:

Love destroyed one of my favorite tennis players: Elena Dementieva.  Best woman to never win a Slam.  Still think she would have won the 2010 French if she hadn't gotten injured against Schiavone in the semis.

-Arvis

She was the best woman to never win a slam. For sure.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

On the men's side, the question of who was the best player to never win is a tougher question. I think you have to break it down by surface.

Like, the best player never to win the French: Coria, Ferrer.
Best player to never win Wimbledon: Roddick (but he won a slam so doesn't count)
Best player to never win AO/USO: Tsonga

Thoughts?

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

I guess you could do that with the women too:

French: Safina, Dementieva
Wimbledon: Sanchez-Vicario (althought she won other majors)
USOpen: Woz, Safina
Aus Open: Safina

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

That's the great thing about this topic, we would probably all have differing opinions which will remind us of some great players....Arnaud I think you should start a new thread, unless you want to Wimby. wink

Pat Rafter would be one of my favs who never won Wimbledon but perhaps deserved to. smile

Tono wrote:

never won Wimbledon but perhaps deserved to. smile

Roddick, 2009  T_T

-Arvis

Well, I am not surprised that Duval lost in the second round. Hope to see more things from this young player.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

I concur, Arvis