Topic: What happened to Sharapova?

She was #1 not too long ago, and is now out of the top 100. What happened?

(I watch more men's tennis, so forgive my ignorance)

Last edited by chadshack (May. 22, 2009 8:24pm)

Re: What happened to Sharapova?

I was not even aware of this; shows how in touch I have been lately. So yes, what happened?

She was out of the Australian with a shoulder injury, and I think it has been a recurring problem. I think everyone has rather forgotten of her as of late, she has been very absent. Her role as Eastern Europe beauty with a bit of a troubled past has been overtaken rather by Jelena Dokic!

It's amazing how quickly a top player can disappear. She is in the French, and I am curious how she will do.

She's going to get back into the top 20 very soon. These types of injuries take a bit to heal, and then she will come back fast!

I was impressed with Sharapova in the French. She played MUCH better than her rank, and seems to have made a good recovery from her injury. I agree with bobstheman that she will be back in the top 20 soon, probably before the US Open.

Agreed. She is not done with us yet; nor we with her.

Sharapova has bounced back pretty quickly from that shoulder injury. Went quite far in the US open series and the US Open. Hopefully, she can show her stuff at the Aussie Open. Has a good chance of making it to the finals if she focuses.

It's time to revisit this thread. She sure did come back, but seems to have fallen completely off the wagon this year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/sport … .html?_r=0

I was surprise by this also.  She looked good in her practice earlier...

Maybe her and Grigor are expecting? wink

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Haha. That's funny Tono. She's too focused on her career to be thinking about kids now.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion