Topic: Women should play 'best of 5 sets' at the slams

As a woman, I am frustrated that women are treated like weak people who can't play a 5 set match. How is it that they can get the same exact prize money but play 30% less tennis? Women tennis players are very fit, and some research suggests that they have more endurance than men. Women's marathons are the same length as men's marathons. Female golfers play the same amount of golf as men. So why is it that women play shorter tennis matches? I think the longer matches would weed out the weak players and raise the level of play. Also, almost every "best match in history" is a 5 set match, so women are robbed of this great honor because they never play 5 set matches.

Re: Women should play 'best of 5 sets' at the slams

Very interesting points kim1. Does anyone know if this has been done before at any other tournament? I would be curious if there have been best of 5 womens matches before. It is possible that a 5 set womens match would be quite boring if the players don't have the strength and endurance.

Also, I imagine that this could cause a scheduling nightmare for the slams. The matches would take twice as long, and I bet they don't have enough time to deal with this.

The first slam to do it would get a ton of press, and it might be good for the womens game overall. I would be very curious to see this happen.

According to this article, Serena is up for the challenge:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/ten … 79917.html

in fact, there WAS a five set womens match like in the 1940's. they ended up not doing it again because they didnt have enough energy for it and got tired but i dont know that much about it.

Very interesting, but I would imagine that women today are in MUCH better physical condition that women back in the 40s. Thy are probably in much better shape than men from the 40s as well smile

that is true, so maybe usta should try to schedule that as an exhibition match and see how the players turn out

That's a great idea. A best of 5 set exhibition match between two strong female players might get a lot of press and attention, and would be a good test of this. Hope the USTA is listening smile

ya lets hope so and i think the people in the match should be klijsters and serena williams. they are both very powerful players and have a lot of stamina. the last time they played the whole line judge incedent happened, so this match should let her redeem herself.

Oh Lord, then we would have to watch Serena for hours... I suggest Kim and Zvonareva...

I think the women of today are far superior in fitness to the women of the 1940's. However as for the argument that if a player doesn't have the fitness it could become boring - a player who doesn't have the fitness wouldn't last to 5 sets anyway - the match would be over in 3 or 4 sets - so that argument seems pointless. Think how great a Clijsters/Williams 5 setter could be

Actually women played best of  five in the 80's and 90's. From 1984 to 1998 the year end championships were best of 5 sets. However, only three went 5 sets.